If you are like me, you probably enjoy a little bit of spice in your meals, especially when the weather gets colder. This recipe below is a great way to start your mornings at the campground and packs a little bit of heat into your traditional biscuits and gravy! The biscuit recipe was found on SunRVResorts.com; the gravy recipe is a family recipe passed down from my husband’s side. We enjoy this meal every holiday together and especially on chilly mornings.
Black Pepper Biscuit Mix
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 tbsp. dry milk powder
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup water
Spicy Sausage Gravy
- 1 package hot breakfast sausage
- 1 packet country gravy mix
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar or balsamic — I use balsamic vinegar because I like the tartness, but my sister-in-law uses white wine for the cleaner tang.
- salt and pepper to taste
Biscuits recipe from SunRVResorts.com
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, sale, dry milk powder, black pepper, and canola oil in a medium bowl, whisking to combine thoroughly.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup, stirring to incorporate. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of water 1 tbsp. at a time.
- When a thick batter forms, add in cheddar cheese and combine.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/4 cup of batter to the oil and cook until golden brown.
- Flip and cook the second side until golden brown and cooked through. The biscuits should be fluffy with no runniness.
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage. Once it is cooked through, remove from the pan and drain 1/2 the grease.
- Add the water and milk to the skillet and whisk while slowly adding the gravy mix.
- While it simmers to thicken, continue to stir, adding vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.
- When the gravy is thick, add the sausage back to the skillet and combine.
- Serve hot over biscuits and enjoy!
Tip: We frequently will make eggs and bacon to eat with the biscuits because they taste fantastic with the biscuits and gravy when eaten like a sandwich.
If you are looking for the perfect RV to take on your next adventure, check out the RVs for sale at Van City RV today! Contact us today to order.